Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 d 11 h 25 m servings 67
Original recipe yields 100 servings (5 1/2 quarts)
- Mix 2 gallons water and pickling lime together in a large bowl; add cucumbers and soak, stirring often, for 24 hours. Drain and thoroughly rinse cucumbers under cold water.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and soak cucumbers for 3 hours; drain.
- Pour cold vinegar into a large pot. Mix sugar, pickling spice, salt, celery seed, cloves, and food coloring into vinegar until dissolved. Add cucumbers; let sit, 8 hours to overnight.
- Bring cucumber mixture to a boil; remove pot from heat.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack cucumber mixture into hot, sterilized jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a clean knife or thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 15 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Pickling lime is also known as slaked lime.
- Make vinegar mixture recipe 1 1/2 times so you will have plenty.
Per Serving: 67 calories; 0 17.2 0.2 0 26 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
These pickles are east to make. I followed the recipe fairly close except for the waiting time. I would be doing something else and forget about the pickle. Everyone that has tried them said ...