Ingredients3 h servings 486
- Season the beef with the salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until well browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the skillet. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add the shallots to the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, mushrooms and flour and cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes.
- Stir the stock, vinegar and brown sugar in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth. Stir the stock mixture in the skillet and heat to a boil. Return the beef to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover the skillet and cook for 30 minutes or until the beef is fork-tender and the vegetables are tender.
- Grate 2 tablespoons zest from the lemon. Stir the lemon zest and parsley in a small bowl. Sprinkle the lemon zest mixture over the beef mixture.
- Recipe Tips:
- Alternate Preparation: To make this recipe in a slow cooker, omit the oil, increase the stock to 1 1/4 cups and the flour to 1/4 cup. Season the beef with the salt and black pepper. Stir 1 cup stock, vinegar and brown sugar in a small bowl. Place the beef, shallots, garlic, mushrooms and tomatoes into a 4 1/2-quart slow cooker. Add the stock mixture and stir to coat. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or until the beef is fork-tender. Stir the remaining stock and flour in a small bowl until smooth. Stir the flour mixture into the cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 10 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens. Top with the lemon zest mixture as directed above.
- Allstars are loyal Allrecipes community members, selected to be brand ambassadors based on onsite participation, interest, and commitment. Allstars may be compensated for their participation in the Allrecipes Allstar program.
Per Serving: 486 calories; 27.8 27.1 33 103 656 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 16
This is very yummy though I wasn't in love with the lemon zest in this recipe. I cooked the entire dish in a heavy dutch oven with wonderfully tender results. My market did not have shallots so ...
This was a delicious Sunday night dish for us! To save a little prep time, I used beef stew meat already cut into cubes. The shallots I had on hand were a little large, so I peeled and thinly ...
This recipe was a big hit in my house! I used a 2-1/2 lb. chuck roast and cut it in cubes about the size you would use in beef stew. The meat came out perfectly tender and the sauce was rich ...
Easy, hearty and delicious. Definitely on my blizzard dinner list.
The meat turned out extremely tender, it was very easy to eat. I added carrots and broccoli to this dish, they turned out tender and very full of flavor. I would put a little less zest on it nex...
It takes some time, perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon, but its comfort food at its finest.
This was tasty. I liked how it was basically from scratch. My main change was a complete reduction in cook time. I am not a fan of stove-top sauteed stewing beef, which was what I had. I cut the...
I turned this into a vegetarian meal by using a bag of Boca beef crumbles instead of the beef. I let it simmer for about 25 minutes to combine the flavors. My whole family loved it.