Deep-Fried Creamy Chicken Gravy
Ingredients2 h 45 m servings 248
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until onions begin to turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup flour and cook until flour loses its raw taste, 3 or 4 minutes. Add black pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper; stir. Remove from heat.
- Pour milk into butter-onion mixture to make the bechamel sauce. Whisk until incorporated. Return pan to medium-high heat and continue whisking until mixture thickens, 1 or 2 minutes; continue to cook and stir 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in salt.
- Place chopped chicken, ham, and parsley in bowl. Add bechamel sauce and mix thoroughly. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 2 or 3 hours.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place 1 cup flour, beaten eggs, and bread crumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls.
- Scoop out chilled mixture into evenly-sized portions (about the size of a golf ball) to form croquettes. Roll balls first in flour, then in beaten eggs, and then in bread crumbs.
- Fry croquettes in batches until crispy, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and transfer to rack.
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
- Parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 248 calories; 13.3 20.8 10.7 58 335 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
OK, I did make a couple changes to this. I didn't add the nutmeg or cayenne and added 2 cups of milk instead of 2.5. I silly enough didn't take his advice on the food processor...I DID use one...
I had searched for a recipe for chicken croquettes. I remember Them from my childhood. This was pretty close tastewise. Made the white sauce thick , added the minced cooked chicken and some of ...