Ingredients2 h 35 m servings 36 cals
- Combine cucumbers, onions, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper in a large bowl; add salt and pour in enough cold water to cover. Allow to soak for 2 hours. Thoroughly drain in a colander.
- Pour vinegar into a large, heavy stainless steel pot; add celery seed and mustard seed. Stir sugar into mixture and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the drained vegetable mixture and return to a boil, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack relish into hot, sterilized jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a clean knife or thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
- Cook's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of salt. The actual amount of salt consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 36 calories; 0.1 g fat; 8.8 g carbohydrates; 0.3 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 578 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Made 5 pints and tastes terrific - really easy. My family doesn't tolerate green pepper well, so put in a red & yellow. Thanks, for the recipe.
This is the best sweet relish I have ever tasted. I make over 16 jars per year for family and friends.
Mine did not look at all like the picture but it was easy to make and very tasty although quite sweet. Will try less sugar next time because I will make this again for sure!