Ghost Chile Sweet Pickle Relish
1 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients9 h 15 m servings 59
Original recipe yields 36 servings (6 half-pint jars)
- Combine cucumbers, onion, red bell pepper, and ghost chile peppers in a large pot; add salt and toss to coat. Cover pot with a lid and refrigerate, 8 hours to overnight.
- Mix sugar and vinegar into cucumber mixture and simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until relish is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. Pack relish into hot, sterilized jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a clean knife or thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Label and date the jars and store in a cool, dark area.
- Cook's Notes:
- Wear gloves when you dice the ghost chile peppers, or else your hands will burn for a few hours. Wash your hands thoroughly with dish soap if they come into contact with the ghost chiles. Regular hand soap doesn't work nearly as well.
- If you are sensitive to hot pepper fumes, wear a mask when the relish is simmering. Turning on the hood can also help.
- For a finer relish, grind the ingredients in a clean meat grinder.
Per Serving: 59 calories; 0.1 14.4 0.6 0 390 Full nutrition