Ingredients1 d 30 m servings 169
- Place tofu in a resealable plastic bag; freeze until completely solid, at least 24 hours. Defrost tofu in the refrigerator or a bowl of cold water.
- Slice tofu into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Gently squeeze each slice to release water.
- Whisk 2 to 4 tablespoons artichoke heart marinade and about 1 teaspoon caper brine together in a bowl; pour enough over each tofu piece so that it absorbs the marinade.
- Place bread crumbs in a bowl. Press each tofu piece into the bread crumbs until evenly coated.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet; cook tofu until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer tofu to a plate, reserving oil mixture in the skillet.
- Cut artichoke hearts into small pieces. Add artichoke hearts, capers, lemon juice to oil mixture in skillet; pour in water. Bring liquid to a boil, add tofu, and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Be sure to freeze the tofu. The tofu texture changes into a more meat-like texture after freezing.
- You may also boil the tofu in water on the stove. This will also change the texture of the tofu into a more meaty texture. This also makes the process quicker if you do not defrost the tofu ahead of time. If you boil the tofu, cool it in cold water before slicing it. Proceed with the remainder of the recipe. Marinating the tofu is an essential step, and it helps disguise the tofu flavor.
- Canned artichoke hearts can be used in place of marinated. Cracker crumbs can be used in place of bread crumbs. Chicken broth or wine can be used in place of the water.
Per Serving: 169 calories; 8.1 15.9 10 0 446 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Great flavor! Piccata anything is always a favorite of mine, but I can't say I'd ever had tofu piccata. I'm glad I tried this! I forgot to plan ahead, so I ended up boiling the tofu instead of f...
We liked it very much. I doubled all wet ingredients so I’d have more sauce, and served it over angel hair. Was terrified, but even better as a leftover the next day. Next time I’ll make it ...
I used olives instead of capers, and seasoned breadcrumbs. This is an awesome recipe!