Cast Iron Clam Chowder
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 490
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Heat bacon grease in a cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat; cook and stir potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic until onion is soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Add flour, salt, garlic powder, liquid smoke flavoring, and black pepper; stir until vegetables are evenly coated.
- Pour chicken broth and reserved clam juice over vegetables; cook at a simmer over low heat until potatoes and carrots are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; stir in cornstarch until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add milk and cream; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir butter mixture into vegetable-broth mixture; cook and stir over low heat until chowder is thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add corn and cook for 5 minutes. Mix chopped clams into chowder and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes more.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Make sure to use GMO-free corn starch. Bob's Red Mill® has a good one.
- Butter can be substituted for the bacon grease, if desired.
Per Serving: 490 calories; 23.7 50.5 19.6 98 1244 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1