Mom's Polish Stewed Cabbage
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 275
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook and stir onions and garlic in hot oil until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir cabbage, vinegar, caraway seeds, and sugar with the onion mixture; bring to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is softened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir sausage, tomatoes, and salsa with the cabbage mixture; season with salt and pepper. Place a cover on the Dutch oven and cook until cabbage is completely tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you would like cabbage with a little more bite, add another teaspoon vinegar after it has finished cooking.
- Butter can replace the olive oil, if desired.
- Try smoked turkey in place of the kielbasa.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 275 calories; 19.2 17.9 9.7 37 716 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Mom's Polish Stewed Cabbage Haiku: "Ate with egg noodles. I used shredded coleslaw mix, instead of cabbage." For a time-saver, I used a bag of coleslaw mix, but did everything else as written, a...