Mom's Polish Stewed Cabbage
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 275 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook and stir onions and garlic in hot oil until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir cabbage, vinegar, caraway seeds, and sugar with the onion mixture; bring to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is softened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir sausage, tomatoes, and salsa with the cabbage mixture; season with salt and pepper. Place a cover on the Dutch oven and cook until cabbage is completely tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you would like cabbage with a little more bite, add another teaspoon vinegar after it has finished cooking.
- Butter can replace the olive oil, if desired.
- Try smoked turkey in place of the kielbasa.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 275 calories; 19.2 g fat; 17.9 g carbohydrates; 9.7 g protein; 37 mg cholesterol; 716 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Just took it to a potluck, and it was a real hit! Easy, good long term in crock pot, seasoning is nice. There are a few variables. I make my own sausage and salsa, cabbage heads very in size, et...