Ingredients2 h 35 m servings 769 cals
- Blend 3 cups flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, yeast, and salt in a food processor. Add warm milk, eggs, and 1/4 cup softened butter and pulse until dough forms into a ball. Transfer dough to a bowl and allow to sit at room temperature to rise, about 1 hour. Knead dough and roll onto a work surface. Cut dough into 8 circles using a cookie cutter or the rim of a drinking glass; allow to rise, about 30 minutes.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a heavy pot over medium heat; cook and stir 1/4 cup sugar into butter until browned, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup milk to butter-sugar mixture. Arrange dough circles in the pot; cover and cook over low heat until dough is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; stir 2 tablespoons flour into butter until mixture bubbles, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually pour 1 cup milk into butter-flour mixture, cooking and stirring until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir 1/2 cup sugar, brandy, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract into thickened milk mixture until a smooth vanilla sauce forms, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix 2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup warm water together in a saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Very gradually add remaining water, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth, 2 to 4 minutes. Mix maple syrup, cream, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, and 1 dash vanilla extract into sugar mixture until a thick caramel sauce forms, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer dampfnudel to a serving dish and pour vanilla sauce over each; top with caramel sauce.
- Cook's Note:
- Shortening can be substituted for the butter, if desired. Heavy whipping cream can be used in place of milk in the vanilla sauce. Rum can be used in place of brandy.
- Use more milk in the dough if too dry and more flour if too wet.
- For a savory dampfnudel: Put butter, salt, and water in the bottom of the heavy pot in Step 2 rather than the sugar.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of dough and poaching liquid. The actual amount consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 769 calories; 23.5 g fat; 130.8 g carbohydrates; 10.6 g protein; 112 mg cholesterol; 427 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This recipe needs to be a lot better written. Do NOT use "a big pot"! Dampfkupal is made in a larger pan, flat and wide and covered when cooking.. The variance to amount of flour can't be over...
I have made dampfnudeln many times but lost my original recipe so I used this one for the savory version. It's spot on except I would use less yeast next time. They were a bit too light. I wo...
I was so happy to find this recipe! We tried dampfnudel one time in Germany on our honeymoon recently, and it was so delicious, I had to try to replicate it! It came out almost EXACTLY like what...