Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 271
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat; cook chicken in hot oil until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken and accumulated juices to a bowl.
- Mix onions and mushrooms together in the same large Dutch oven; add sherry. Cook and stir until onions and mushrooms are soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add zucchini, red bell peppers, yellow squash, garlic, rosemary, Italian seasoning, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper flakes; cook and stir until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Mix tomato sauce and chicken stock into vegetable mixture.
- Arrange chicken on top of vegetable mixture; pour in any accumulated juices left in the bowl. Season with salt and black pepper. Cover Dutch oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven until chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour 30 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Cook's Notes:
- I eyeball every ingredient and add liquid (chicken stock or sherry) to the cooking vegetables if they look dry during cooking.
- I use my cast-iron dutch oven but this can also be made in a slow cooker if you choose.
- I usually serve this over buttered egg noodles with Parmesan.
Per Serving: 271 calories; 10.7 26.7 19.1 47 1186 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
I have never made chicken cassiatore before so I poured over many recipes before choosing one. I am so glad I chose this one. It is delicious! My husband had seconds. The only thing I did wa...
Wow! This is a tasty recipe! I wanted chicken Italian-style other than the usual chicken Parmesan, and this recipe hit the spot! It's a tad time-consuming, but it's easy to make. The chicken tur...
Definite winner! I did not use the yellow zucchini and I added an extra can of tomato sauce. Also, I did not use the red pepper flakes; I added a Fresno chili instead. Hubby and I found it seas...
I didn't use the hot pepper and I used more chicken, but it was amazing!
very delicious ! I did it all on the stove top. Added the chicken back into the vegetables and let it simmer about 20 min. Served it with rice.
Very flavorful! I wanted to make a cacciatore with b/s thighs and sliced peppers, and I'm really glad I chose this recipe. I made a few changes to accomodate what I had on hand. I used 1 large o...
Really great flavor! I didn't use zucchini, and used less tomato sauce and more chicken broth, and cut out the cooking sherry. But otherwise, I followed the process of th recipe - I loved the id...