Ingredients50 m servings 166
- Melt butter in a heavy pot over medium heat; cook and stir onions until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add chicken broth and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and simmer, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and simmer, about 10 minutes. Add zucchini and simmer until all vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine soup, basil, salt, and pepper into a blender or food processor no more than half full. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree in batches until desired consistency is reached.
- Cook's Notes:
- Yellow squash can be used in place of zucchini.
- Substitute about 3/4 teaspoon dried basil for the fresh basil, if desired. If using dried basil, add to soup when adding potatoes.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 166 calories; 4.7 27.8 5.4 14 891 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 16
Delicious soup, and very easy! This will be perfect this summer when everyone's garden is overflowing with zucchini! The only change I made (not by choice) was to use vegetable broth instead of ...
surprisingly delicious. I only made a few changes. I only used one onion. I added two crushed garlic cloves and sauteed it with the onion. I also added the potatoes with the cooked onion a...
Loved this!! So flavorful. I made it almost exactly to the recipe with a few minor changes. I had to add a couple of yellow squash to the zucchini to make the 8 cups. I also added minced garlic...
light and tasty soup. The directions could have been a lot simpler. I sautéed the onions then added all the veggies, broth, spices and herbs ( used dried ) and simmer everything for 30 minutes. ...
Never would have thought to turn squash into a soup. This was so simple and surprisingly delicious! My husband even added some shredded cheddar to his bowl of soup and liked it both ways. No nee...
I've made this many times due to an overflow of squash and zucchini from a crop share. Each time I've made it it's been just as good, and each time it's been a different set of squash. I use wha...
Tasty! Used vegetable bouillon, added celery and cumin. Added mushrooms after blending. Lots of chopping, next time I’ll try not chopping since I have a Vitamix.