Rhode Island Clam Chowder
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 254
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Cook and stir salt pork in a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy kettle over medium-low heat until crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Add onion, leeks, and garlic to salt pork; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix clam juice, potatoes, boiling water, green bell pepper, carrot, and celery into salt pork mixture; cover Dutch oven and bring liquid to a boil.
- Separate necks from soft parts of each clam. Coarsely chop necks and add to salt pork-vegetable mixture, reserving soft parts. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer salt pork-vegetable mixture until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir soft parts of clams, tomatoes, ketchup, parsley, salt, thyme leaves, black pepper, and bay leaf into salt pork-vegetable mixture; bring soup to a simmer.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; stir in flour until smooth. Spoon about 1 tablespoon liquid from soup into butter-flour mixture and stir until smooth; add to soup and stir. Cover and simmer soup until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- May substitute bacon in lieu of salt pork. We have also used large can of clams. Found that adding the clams at the very end prevented them from getting tough.
Per Serving: 254 calories; 13.8 21.1 12.3 42 1298 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1