Canadian Sharp Cheddar Cheese Spread
Ingredients8 h 45 m servings 116
- Place cream cheese and cold pack Cheddar cheese in a microwave-safe bowl; slice cheese into chunks with a knife. Microwave cheese in 30-second intervals on high just until softened, stirring between intervals.
- Stir red onion, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, paprika, and hot sauce into cheese mixture with a fork until evenly combined; spoon into an airtight container and refrigerate, 8 hours to overnight.
- Remove cheese spread from refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
- Cook's Note:
- In Canada, I use MacLaren's Imperial Sharp Cold Pack Cheddar Cheese. It is a very hard dry cheese, not a spread. In the US, it would be something like Black Creek® Sharp Cheddar Cold Pack Cheese (do not substitute with Cheez Whiz®).
- Green onions can be substituted for red onions for a milder taste.
- This can be formed into a cheese log or cheese ball for a nice presentation.
- Once prepared, cheese spread can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Per Serving: 116 calories; 8.9 4.8 4.9 31 200 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I make a variation of this all the time, especially around the holidays. I use a half cup butter also, half as much black pepper and a few Tbsp of beer (or near-beer for those who prefer no alc...
I love this kind of stuff but was unsure of my wife so I made half the recipe in case I had to eat all of it. My only change was substituting green onions for the red, using the whites and green...
I personally didn't enjoy this too much. I love Worcestershire sauce in my meats and never thought to put it in a dip. It was too overpowering for me, so maybe try less. Tasted a bit like barbe...
I have made several changes to this recipe for a spicier flavor. I use the basic cheese ingredients and to it add: onion powder, cayenne pepper, worcestershire sauce, 1/4 c butter, 2-3 T beer,...