Ruby's Strawberry Jell-O® Flan Cake
Ingredients13 h servings 638 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a fluted cake pan (such as Bundt(R)) with cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, 1 cup water, vegetable oil, and 3 eggs together in a bowl with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat until batter is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Beat condensed milk, evaporated milk, 4 eggs, and vanilla extract together in another bowl until flan mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes. Pour into prepared cake pan. Pour 3/4 of the strawberry cake batter on top of the flan mixture. Set cake pan in a roasting pan. Pour water into the roasting pan to read halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 6 hours.
- Place a plate on top of the cake pan and invert to loosen cake. Flip cake pan and plate back to return cake to the pan.
- Combine boiling water and gelatin in a bowl; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Pour 1 cup cold water into gelatin mixture. Let cool until gelatin mixture is warm to the touch. Pour gelatin mixture into the cake pan along the sides so that the gelatin runs under the cake and cake begins to float. Refrigerate until set; at least 5 hours.
- Remove cake from refrigerator and place pan in hot water to loosen from the sides of the cake pan. Invert onto a serving plate.
- Cook's Notes:
- This recipe is all about technique. You have to follow the exact recipe and have patience. Your results will be rewarding. You can use the left over cake batter to make cupcakes.
- When the cake batter is poured on top of the flan they will mix together but they will separate during the cooking process.
- Make sure the Jell-O® does not touch the cake or else the cake will absorb all the Jell-O® then you will not have the Jell-O® on top.
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the gelatin and strawberry cake ingredients. The actual amount of the gelatin and strawberry cake consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 638 calories; 26.4 g fat; 82 g carbohydrates; 20.1 g protein; 370 mg cholesterol; 612 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
It wasn't bad .. I made my own cake recipe instead of a package of strawberry cake mix , and i coloured my cake mixture with a quarter of strawberry jell-o package.. I think it was a good idea i...
I made it exactly as recipe directed. It's so delicious, such a big hit. Just be careful when you transfer to a serving plate. If you put the pan in hot water the jello melts really fast, so I ...