Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients10 h 50 m servings 702 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Put chickpeas and water in a large pot; soak beans 8 hours to overnight. Or, bring the beans and water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Once boiling, turn off the heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
- Add ham hocks, oregano, and bay lead to the water and chickpeas; bring to a boil, place a lid on the pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer until the chickpeas are tender, about 2 hours. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute sausage chunks in hot skillet until some of the fat renders, 2 to 3 minutes; add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add sausage mixture to the mixture in the pot along with Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook until the sausage chunks are no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- To make this in a slow cooker, soak chickpeas; drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the water. Place chick-peas, water, ham hocks, bay leaf, and oregano in cooker and and cook on Low until tender, 6 to 8 hours. Add sauteed sausage mixture and cook 1 hour more. Discard bay leaf.
Per Serving: 702 calories; 40.3 g fat; 50.1 g carbohydrates; 35.6 g protein; 96 mg cholesterol; 807 mg sodium. Full nutrition