Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients6 h 20 m servings 324 cals
Original recipe yields 15 servings
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Sprinkle kosher salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper over the fatty side of brisket. Spread tomato paste over entire brisket. Place brisket, fat-side up, in a heavy pot; pour in enough water to cover brisket. Add halved onion, carrot, celery, 1/2 of the cilantro, and garlic to the pot. Bring liquid to a boil. Cover pot with a lid or aluminum foil and transfer to oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven until brisket is very tender, about 6 hours.
- Blend chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a a food processor until finely chopped. Add vinegar to peppers and continue processing; drizzle olive oil into mixture until smooth.
- Remove brisket from liquid and cool slightly. Slice meat across the grain into 2-inch slices; shred thoroughly with a fork.
- Combine shredded meat, chopped onion, tomato, remaining cilantro, and pepper mixture in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Serve meat mixture with corn tortillas and top meat with Monterey Jack cheese.
- Cook's Notes:
- This can also be served chilled. Cut Monterey Jack cheese into 1/4-inch cubes to serve. To serve chilled as a salad: let marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired, toss with cheese cubes. Serve in a decorative bowl and garnish with remaining cilantro. Serve with warm corn tortillas.
- For a milder version of this recipe, remove about half of the chopped peppers from the food processor bowl after adding oil and vinegar, then add back chopped peppers, a teaspoon at a time, to desired level of spiciness.
- I reserve the liquid left in the pot after cooking the brisket. Chill and remove fat and use in place of the water in the Spanish Rice II recipe on Allrecipes.com.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of remaining liquid in pot. The actual amount consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 324 calories; 18.3 g fat; 23.3 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 50 mg cholesterol; 653 mg sodium. Full nutrition