Half-Baked Taco Salad
made it | 0 reviews |
"I've always adored taco salad, but I wanted to find a way to retain the large portions that the meal typically offers, retain the sharp flavor of the cheeses and meat mixture, but reduce the complexity and calories involved in having a bread product. This is the result and I'm quite addicted to it. I made slight changes to 'Taco Seasoning I' for the spicing, but otherwise hit upon the idea of pre-baking the salad before applying meat, tomato, and salsa, and quite like how the romaine gets crispy along the edges."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients50 m servings 565 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Combine chili powder, cumin, black pepper, garlic powder, sea salt, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and oregano together in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Mix spice mixture into ground beef until evenly coated; add water. Simmer beef until liquid is evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Add kidney beans and simmer until beans are heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Cut each tomato in half down the middle. Slice 1 of each half into thin, round cross sections. Chop the remaining halves.
- Spread romaine lettuce onto the prepared baking sheet; top with green bell peppers and tomato slices. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over tomato layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges of romaine lettuce are crisp but not burned, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Top salad with taco meat mixture, Cheddar cheese, chopped tomato, and salsa. Transfer salad to a serving plate using a spatula.
- Partner tip: Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 565 calories; 28.3 g fat; 41.7 g carbohydrates; 42.3 g protein; 104 mg cholesterol; 1018 mg sodium. Full nutrition