Chef John's Chicken Under a Brick
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 303
- Use kitchen shears to cut down both sides of the backbone. Remove backbone and discard. Cut through breastbone from the inside until chicken folds out like a book and lays flat.
- Season chicken all over with salt and black pepper, and sprinkle herbes de Provence on the inside. Let chicken sit for 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature; pat dry with paper towels. Brush skin-side of chicken with oil and season again with salt and black pepper.
- Heat an oven-proof cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot, about 5 minutes. Place chicken, skin-side down, in hot skillet and place bricks evenly on top to weigh down chicken.
- Roast chicken in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove bricks, turn chicken over, and continue roasting until juices run clear and meat is no longer pink at the bone, 5 to 15 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Preheat the oven's broiler and broil the chicken until skin is crispy and golden, 1 to 3 minutes.
Per Serving: 303 calories; 13.3 0 43.1 132 154 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 33
Great instructions for how to cook a spatchcocked bird under clay bricks. There is, however, one crucial piece of info that would appear to have been inadvertently omitted in the written recipe....
Instead of bricks, I just use another heavy cast iron skillet for weight, preheating both in a 425 oven until screaming hot. This always turns out perfectly, regardless of which spice mixture ...
I find garden shears, the kind used to cut flowers, the best for cutting through chicken bones/ribs. Hor skillwr necessarty to keep skin from sticking to pan. You can put skillet an grill as wel...
I only ever want to make chicken this way again!!! I seasoned with garlic lemon Rosemary + butter but followed recipe method. Divine!!!!
Absolutely Delicious and worth making over again and again. Bought the clay bricks at HomeDepot for 49 cents each and used my 12 inch cast iron skillet and everything turned out just like the v...
I have to give this recipe 5 star's. Some people may disagree, but that's why we are all different. This is the best chicken I have ever had. I made this just as recipe stated, and it was awesom...
Excellent!! I made this for company tonight and everyone loved it! No one heard of spatchcock chicken before so it was a great conversation piece (plus I love saying spatchcock:) I have made spa...
Chef John straight up on this one....Chicken stayed moist and skin was crispy, just like this ol' boy likes it......in a word numanum will do again.