Ingredients1 h 55 m servings 307
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat dates, 2/3 cup brown sugar, orange juice, and orange zest in a saucepan over low heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until dates have softened, absorbed the liquid, and mixture is like a paste, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract.
- Stir oats, flour, 1 cup brown sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl; cut in butter with a knife or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Lightly press 2/3 of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9x9-inch pan. Spread date mixture evenly over the crumb crust; sprinkle remaining crumbs evenly over the top of date mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden, about 30 minutes; cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before slicing into bars.
- Cook's Notes:
- Water can be substituted for orange juice.
Per Serving: 307 calories; 9.3 56.1 2.7 23 104 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
Matrimonial Squares aka Date Squares are a Christmas tradition in my home. The orange and vanilla in this recipe really add a delicious flavour and put them over the top. I do like to bring my...
Date squares are a tradition at our house as well but I usually follow my mom's recipe. I saw this recipe and just had to try it and I'm so glad that I did. This will be my go to recipe from now...
I’m going to say that this recipe is near perfect for me, except it is too sweet, as I don’t normally eat refined sugar. I will have to add half of the sugar to the crumb, which will in turn mea...
I made some changes because of dairy issues. I used Becel Vegan Spread and Robin Hood gluten free flour, and gluten free oats. I followed the recipe and the squares turned out excellent. Thank y...
Very tasty! Tastes like those much mom used to make, Even my wife liked them, and she doesn’t really care for dates!
Excellent taste, a bit sweet for me so next time I will cut the sugar a bit. I didn't have OJ so used Mango juice, really yummy and couldn't taste the mango flavor so the bars still have that t...