Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 40 m servings 55
Original recipe yields 20 servings
- Fill a large pot with water to about 3/4-full; add carrots, celery, onions, kosher salt, brown sugar, lemon slices, bell pepper, and garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer mixture for 10 minutes.
- Let the brine cool at room temperature for 10 minutes before refrigerating to chill completely, at least 1 hour more.
- Strain brine into a separate food-safe container.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- I always prepare mine a day or two ahead of time so it has time to cool without having to add ice to speed the process. Ice will thin it out.
- I have used this exact recipe many times for grilling ribs and pork shoulder low and slow. I always add a rub and mop with BBQ sauce while it cooks, and it comes out juicy and flavorful every time.
- Pierce the meat in various locations prior to adding to brine to allow for better absorption.
- Brine chicken, pork, or turkey in refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours; rinse thoroughly and pat dry before rubbing or injecting as you normally would in preparing for cooking.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the brine ingredients. The actual amount of the brine ingredients consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 55 calories; 0.1 14.5 0.5 0 6854 Full nutrition