Ingredients2 h 30 m servings 38
- Mix water, kosher salt, white sugar, garlic, sage, basil, peppercorns, and bay leaf in a large pot over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the salt and sugar are dissolved completely, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and cover with a lid. Cool brine at room temperature for 2 hours before refrigerating to cool completely.
- Cook's Note:
- Cook time depends on heat source; could take more or less than 20 minutes to bring to simmer.
- Allowing the brine to sit at room temperature for the first two hours of cooling time steeps the dried herbs. I've found this makes a huge difference in the flavor. Let brine cool completely before adding chicken.
- Whole chicken can sit in brine for up to 8 hours. Chicken pieces (bone-in) can set in brine for up to 4 hours.
Per Serving: 38 calories; 0.1 9.2 0.6 0 3423 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 27
I bought a deep fryer for the Christmas turkey but wanted to test it out on a chicken. I used this brine and it was awesome. I did let it sit in the brine overnight and I thought it was a little...
Turned out PERFECT! Had 2 8-9 lb Oven Stuffer Roasters! I made the Brine Solution in a saucepan using 4 cups of water and let cool 2 hours to room temperature. Using 2 -2 gallon Ziploc storage...
Excellent!! Had folks coming over for a cookout - used the brine to make chicken kabobs. REALLY added a nice moisture to the chicken breast pieces. After cooling the brine I soaked the whole bre...
After I brined chicken pieces for 4 hours I put in buttermilk for 2 more. It was the most moist, flavorful super crispy fried chicken I ever tasted. There were no left overs!
We have tried many brines over the years. We have even invented a few of our own. I know some people say you don't need to bother with a brine, you do! And you need to try this one. This is, han...
The amount of kosher salt to water is spot on. That is the most critical aspect of a brine. The seasonings can all be changed up to whatever suits you.
This was my family's absolute favorite brine! We taste tested a few and this one out-weighed them all! Yummy! Moist! Flavorful!
Followed the recipe exactly - with the exception - I substituted ROSEMARY for the BASIL (I was out of basil). Turned out so good. Exceptional, even. A new evolution in chicken at my house. The ...