Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients25 m servings 61 cals
Original recipe yields 20 servings (7 quarts)
- Stir salt, poultry seasoning, onion powder, and black pepper together in a large stockpot. Pour vegetable broth, tomato juice, and water into the stockpot and stir to dissolve the salt mixture; add sun-dried tomatoes and basil leaves. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook the brine, stirring occasionally, until the seasonings are completely dissolved, about 20 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can either use this immediately upon cooling or store it in the refrigerator while your turkey thaws. If you refrigerate, allow it to warm to room temperature before brining turkey.
- Brine turkey in a large pot or a 5-gallon food-grade plastic bucket, putting turkey in first and pouring brine over the turkey, making sure it covers the turkey. Refrigerate for between 36 to 48 hours. Drain the turkey, remove the basil leaves, sun-dried tomatoes, and pat turkey dry before roasting.
- Your turkey could cook faster than expected because of the brine holding in almost all of the juices.
- Editor's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the brine ingredients. The actual amount of the brine consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 61 calories; 0.7 g fat; 12.6 g carbohydrates; 2.6 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 9856 mg sodium. Full nutrition