Ingredients12 h 5 m servings 508
- Place red beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat; cook sausage until cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer sausage to a work surface and slice.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onions, bell pepper, celery, and bay leaves until softened, about 5 minutes. Add sausage, ham, and 1/2 of the Creole seasoning; saute over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Stir drained beans into sausage mixture.
- Mix chicken broth, garlic, and remaining Creole seasoning into bean mixture; cover skillet and simmer on low for 3 hours.
- Stir tomato sauce, vinegar, and 1/2 of the green onions into bean mixture, slightly smashing beans with a potato masher. Simmer, uncovered, until thickened and beans are tender, about 30 minutes more. Mix remaining green onions and parsley into beans and serve over cooked rice.
Per Serving: 508 calories; 9.3 80.5 26.8 27 2124 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 20
I submitted this recipe and would like to mention....The creole seasoning blend I use is home made. If you use Tony's or such, it will be salty.Would also like to say when I say simmer, I mean s...
These are the best red beans. I was iffy about the tomato sauce and vinegar but did it anyway and wow I will never make them any other way again.
So as a newly retired from the military guy, I am learning some new talents (as in cooking dinners and such) I literally have to google how to cut up different veggies and what minced is.... Tha...
Follow the recipe exactly adding the tomato sauce and vinegar. I added some kielbasa with the ham and andouille because we had it in the fridge. Mash some of the beans at the end for a creamy co...
The only changes I made was that instead of andouille sausage and ham, I used smoked sausage. I also made my own Cajun seasoning using the Creole Seasoning Blend by Joslyn from this site.
Very good, next time I will allow extra time for the beans to reach the creamy consistency, but it was still delicious.
Excellent. I was skeptical but curious to give it a try. Followed the recipe exactly. I did need to let it simmer a little bit longer to get it to the consistency I wanted. A definite repeat...
I followed this recipe exactly as written and the entire family loved it. There were no leftovers. This is a recipe that will be in the family meal rotation in the upcoming future.