Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Malbec (Red Wine)
Ingredients5 h 20 m servings 350
- Combine steak seasoning, salt, thyme, and rosemary together in a bowl; rub onto the roast.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and place roast in skillet; cook until roast is browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Place the roast in the slow cooker and add au jus mix and onion soup mix. Pour water and Malbec over roast.
- Cook on High for 5 hours (or cook in Low for 8 to 9 hours).
- Cook's Notes:
- Please adjust the salt in the mix to your taste, start out with a bit less than the amount called for and add more later. I have found the amount was just right for my liking.
- Strain the gravy and thicken with a flour slurry if necessary. This recipe makes a lot of good gravy.
- Since I had time I seared the pot roast, but I am thinking that in a time crunch it won't be necessary.
- For the wine, I used an Australian Malbec. But please, use any red wine that you would drink. Dornfelder, Merlot, Pinot Noir or Zinfandel would also very equal substitutes.
- For all DIYers: any homemade season mix can be easily substituted for the store-bought ones. Allrecipes has many to choose from.
- For other tasty additions: add pearl onions, peas, carrots,or potatoes. I have not tried these add-ons yet, so I can't speak for it. but I am sure it would be great.
- Partner Tip
- Try using a Reynolds® slow cooker liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 350 calories; 21.1 8.5 22.7 86 3076 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 24
A FABULOUS dish! Whatever would a dish be without the balance of flavor and decadence? Hence, the answer was found here amidst the array of lightly fine fresh seasonings utilized.. creating a ...
Makes a delicious roast. I nixed the salt as there is plenty in the Montreal Steak spice (which my wife didn't like so much, but I thought it was fine). Used Australian Shiraz instead of Merlot-...
This was one of the best pot roasts I've ever made, but there are several factors that affect that comment. I used an Angus chuck roast which is the very best. I used the ingredients and quantit...
I tried this tonight and it was an absolute HIT with the family!! My kids are very picky eaters so I was a little scared that they wouldn't like it. Well they loved it! I didn't change anything ...
This has great potential, but the salt content made this almost inedible. I followed the recipe exactly, but I think I’ll have to tweak it to make it work.
Turned out great! It did smoke the kitchen a bit when I was browning it but what’s cooking without a little smoke? I did omit the salt and it was plenty salty enough. I also cooked it on top p...
Used chuck roast, a healthy tablespoon of homemade Ranch Mix, Au juice packet and a cup of Burgundy cooking wine/water. Slow six hours, added carrots, celery and potatoes, cooked high for two ho...