Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Malbec (Red Wine)
Ingredients5 h 20 m servings 350 cals
- Combine steak seasoning, salt, thyme, and rosemary together in a bowl; rub onto the roast.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and place roast in skillet; cook until roast is browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Place the roast in the slow cooker and add au jus mix and onion soup mix. Pour water and Malbec over roast.
- Cook on High for 5 hours (or cook in Low for 8 to 9 hours).
- Cook's Notes:
- Please adjust the salt in the mix to your taste, start out with a bit less than the amount called for and add more later. I have found the amount was just right for my liking.
- Strain the gravy and thicken with a flour slurry if necessary. This recipe makes a lot of good gravy.
- Since I had time I seared the pot roast, but I am thinking that in a time crunch it won't be necessary.
- For the wine, I used an Australian Malbec. But please, use any red wine that you would drink. Dornfelder, Merlot, Pinot Noir or Zinfandel would also very equal substitutes.
- For all DIYers: any homemade season mix can be easily substituted for the store-bought ones. Allrecipes has many to choose from.
- For other tasty additions: add pearl onions, peas, carrots,or potatoes. I have not tried these add-ons yet, so I can't speak for it. but I am sure it would be great.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 350 calories; 21.1 g fat; 8.5 g carbohydrates; 22.7 g protein; 86 mg cholesterol; 3076 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 12
A FABULOUS dish! Whatever would a dish be without the balance of flavor and decadence? Hence, the answer was found here amidst the array of lightly fine fresh seasonings utilized.. creating a ...
Makes a delicious roast. I nixed the salt as there is plenty in the Montreal Steak spice (which my wife didn't like so much, but I thought it was fine). Used Australian Shiraz instead of Merlot-...
I tried this tonight and it was an absolute HIT with the family!! My kids are very picky eaters so I was a little scared that they wouldn't like it. Well they loved it! I didn't change anything ...
Made it exactly by the recipe. My wife absolutely loved it. A little on the salty side, but fantastic taste overall.
My hubby and I loved this recipe! The roast was moist and tender and the gravy was so flavorful and looked so rich and deep in color. I eliminate the salt as there is plenty in the other seasoni...
This is a delicious pot roast! Came out so tender and flavorful, not too salty. The only substitute I made was to use a beef bullion cube instead of the aus jus mix, I dissolved a 2cup cube in...
One of my families favorite "comfort food" recipes! We serve it with the sauce from the pan drippings, mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli. Delicious!