Mom's Fish Chowder
Ingredients30 m servings 351
- Melt butter in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onions in hot butter until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup water in the skillet and bring to a simmer. Lay fillets into the water and poach until fish flesh can be gently broken with a fork, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove fish and onions from the skillet with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Pour remaining 1/4 cup water into the skillet with the potato cubes; season with salt. Place a cover on the skillet and bring the liquid to a boil; cook until the potatoes are beginning to soften, but remain firm, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Return fish and onion to the skillet; add whole milk and evaporated milk. Season everything with salt and pepper; heat until just before the liquid comes to a boil and remove immediately from heat.
- Cook's Notes:
- It's important to use russet baking potato as it is starchy and will help thicken the chowder.
- Use 2 potatoes and 2 ribs of celery to stretch the soup for more people.
- You can also add imitation crabmeat and double all ingredients (except fish of course) for a yummy crab/fish chowder.
- Also feel free to exchange 1 cup clam juice for 1 cup water when expanding the recipe.
- Any firm, mild white fish can work in place of the cod.
Per Serving: 351 calories; 13.4 28.7 28.8 88 249 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 19
This is such a great, easy recipe! Made as is, it's delicious; BUT with a few tweaks, I made it my own. My husband LOVED it! Okay, so my changes were really just additions. I used seafood ...
So easy, and SO delicious! I used Alaskan Pollock I picked up at 99 cents a pound, so even better as it is easy on the budget. Kudos, and appreciation from Toronto, Canada.
This is a great fish chowder recipe! I used a pound of haddock, plus I added many of the ingredients others suggested. I used 1/2 cup fish sauce in place of 1/2 cup water, added about 1/8 tsp ...
This is a great recipe although I did change a few things due to the fact I didn't have them. I used pearl onions instead of chopping up an onion. I had 2 pounds of cod so I doubled everything e...
Nice quick recipe. I sliced a couple carrots and added them into the potatoes while they were boiling. Seasoned with salt, pepper and ground sage. I also thickened the chowder with a Tbsp of ...
Definitely a keeper, will make often. I used fresh cod (expensive!) so added a can of tuna (with its juice) near the end. Wanted it a bit thicker, so did that with instant mashed potato flakes....
I used Basa fish and also added about a Tbsp. of hot sauce and a bit of cayenne pepper. Very good recipe.