Ingredients55 m servings 231
- Melt margarine in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion in melted margarine until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir potatoes with the onion; season with cumin. Pour chicken broth over the potato mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, place cover on the pot, and cook until the potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Stir jalapeno peppers and baking soda into the broth. Stream evaporated milk into the broth while stirring.
- Mash potatoes in the pot with a potato masher until coarsely smashed; stir. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Return pot to medium-high heat and bring soup to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until the soup is warmed through, about 15 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- The baking soda helps prevent curdling when adding the milk to the hot broth.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 231 calories; 7.9 33.7 7.2 21 1828 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 11
I used butter instead of margarine and that was the only change I made. This was super simple and packed a LOT more flavor that I anticipated. I really thought I would need to add some seasoning...
Along with the ingredients listed I blended in small diced new potatoes and chopped Italian tomatoes, topped the bowl with cilantro leaves, sliver grated Monterrey Jack cheese, before serving I ...
Instead of a potato masher... I blended it in small batches in the blender. Other than that, I followed the recipe as written, but stirred in some shredded cheese at the end and topped with crum...
Really good recipe. I doubled it and used soy milk instead of condensed. I used a bit extra jalapenos and added some hot sauce as well. Also I cut the salt in half. Will definitely make it again.
Overall the recipe is really good. The only change I made was to use vegetable broth instead of chicken as I am vegetarian. It did make the soup a darker color but we all thought it was good. I ...
A five star meal. We all loved this. I served with tortilla chips and it was a big hit. My husband says this is a keeper. Ans so inexpensive and great flavor with so few ingredients. You did goo...
The first time I made this recipe was according to the directions. Although really good, I wanted my soup a bit more spicy. The next time I made a few changes: two chopped onions, two cloves m...
Really excellent. We like it hot so I was liberal with the jalapenos. Worked fine. Only change I'll make next time is that directions call for WAY too much salt . Maybe it's a misprint but I...