Roasted Apple and Parsnip Soup
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 288
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spread parsnips and apples out onto prepared baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over the top and sprinkle with kosher salt. Toss to coat.
- Roast in preheated oven until parsnips and apples are tender and caramelized around the edges, about 30 minutes.
- Stir apple-parsnip mixture, chicken broth, and potato together in a large pot; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Puree apple mixture with an immersion blender until soup is smooth. Stir cream into soup and season with cayenne pepper and salt; cook until heated through, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use a mixture of chicken broth and water instead of only chicken broth, if desired.
- A diced yellow onion could be added to the roasted vegetables. I didn't want this too sweet, so I tried without one, and it was amazing, but I'll try the next batch with that addition.
Per Serving: 288 calories; 12.9 41.4 4.1 32 1052 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
It was bland with a color and consistency that reminded us of baby food.
I loved this! My first time eating parsnips they were oven roasted and undercooked - tough and fibrous cubes of too much of anise flavor. This soup really opens up the true flavor of parsnips, a...
Added a roasted onion and instead of adding heavy cream I topped it with some crème fraîche and chives. It was deliciously warm and comforting and I fell asleep soon after consuming it!