Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 30 m servings 568
Original recipe yields 24 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Season pork cubes with salt, pepper, and thyme to taste and place in a cast iron skillet.
- Cook pork cubes in the preheated oven until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Transfer pork from skillet to a bowl, reserving drippings.
- Cook and stir bacon in a 9-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate, reserving bacon grease.
- Cook and stir okra in the bacon grease over medium heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer okra to a bowl, reserving bacon grease. Cook and stir smoked sausage in bacon grease until browned, about 5 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to sausage; cook and stir until softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir 48 fluid ounces chicken stock into sausage mixture and bring to a simmer. Stir roux into broth mixture until dissolved and slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly stir 48 fluid ounces chicken stock into thickened stock; bring back to a simmer.
- Mix pork, pork drippings, bacon, chili powder, paprika, 2 teaspoons black pepper, file powder, rosemary, 1 teaspoon thyme, bay leaves, and Creole seasoning into thickened chicken stock; simmer, stirring often and skimming off fat, until flavors blend, about 1 hour.
- Stir black-eyed peas, mustard greens, okra, diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, mushrooms, and remaining chicken stock into pork-stock mixture; simmer for 1 hour more.
- Cook's Note:
- You can make your own roux, (browned oil and flour), but the pre-made roux is so easy and convenient, cooked perfectly every time, and tastes just the same as if you spent 45 minutes making your own.
- Allow the gumbo to simmer for a while before adjusting the seasoning. A really good smoked sausage will release plenty of seasoning on its own.
- An 8 to 9 pound Boston butt (pork shoulder roast) will yield about 6 pounds of cubed pork.
Per Serving: 568 calories; 32.2 35.7 34.6 89 2025 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I made this gumbo as is. It makes a lot. I used a 20 quart stock pot, and have plenty for the freezer. It was delicious!! It is the most unique and best flavored gumbo I have had, and I was ...