Cheesy Bacon Jalapeno Skillet Cornbread
Ingredients55 m servings 389
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place bacon in a cast iron skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels, reserving bacon grease in the skillet. Spread the grease up the sides of the skillet using a paper towel.
- Cook jalapeno peppers in the bacon grease over medium heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and skim milk together in a bowl; let sit until some of the liquid is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a separate bowl. Mix eggs and butter into cornmeal mixture; stir into flour mixture just until batter is moist. Fold jalapeno peppers, 1/2 cup pepperjack cheese, and green onions into batter. Pour batter into the cast iron skillet; crumble bacon over top and sprinkle remaining cheese over bacon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- I suggest wearing gloves when you mince the jalapeno peppers.
Per Serving: 389 calories; 20 39.8 14.2 113 808 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 18
Great recipe! Loved the flavors. Used AP flour instead of gluten-free (we don't need to follow a Gluten free diet in this house). Used cheddar cheese instead of pepper jack. This is not a very...
Wicked good. I subbed a few things, and overdid it (what timer? Look! A butterfly!). It is delicious anyway. I have some horribly hot peppers, so used only one, and it's plenty spicy. Thanks!
I used regular milk and AP flour, but mainly if you like crispy cornbread, make it in a waffle iron. Fast and don't have to heat up the house.
Always heat up your skillet in the oven with an oil coating before pouring the batter in. This is an old Southern trick. This cornbread is a nice change from plain cornbread. Buttermilk is be...
This is the best recipe that I have used so far. I shredded ham instead of bacon and omitted the jalapenos and added chilli powder, the result was delicious. I am so impressed with this recipe...
Beautiful recipe! Took my chances and doubled it using a cast iron lasagna pan. Preheated the pan in the oven and 20 minutes was perfect cooking time. I left the bacon and peppers in the pan...
This was very flavorful cornbread, even though I substituted some chopped sweet red pepper for the 3 jalapeño peppers. The cast iron skillet size was not specified in the recipe and that's prob...
seems like a 5 star, but I would like to know what size of frying pan was used, like another reviewer - could someone say?