Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 221 cals
- Heat butter in a large Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium heat; cook and stir leeks, onion, and garlic until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add celery and carrots; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes. Add cabbage; cook and stir until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix water, salsa, ketchup, bouillon cubes, Creole seasoning, salt, and pepper into vegetable mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors blend in soup, 20 minutes. Add sausage to soup and simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes more.
- Cook's Note:
- Add canned green beans, bells peppers, or canned tomatoes with green chiles as desired.
- Beef bouillon cubes can used in place of chicken bouillon cubes.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 221 calories; 12.4 g fat; 19.9 g carbohydrates; 9.5 g protein; 27 mg cholesterol; 1522 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Cajun Cabbage Soup Haiku: "Perfect spice for me, daughter said, 'eek! It's too hot!' Didn't like ketchup." I increased the onions, not having any leeks, and kept everything else the same, other ...
I was looking for a way to get the odds and ends out of my fridge. This was perfect. I didn't have celery, carrots or leeks. I used a red onion and through in a half bunch of cilantro and 2 Tsp ...
A great, hearty soup for a winter's night. I made this pretty much as written - my changes being using a liter/quart container of organic chicken broth and 2 teaspoons of the Creole Seasoning B...
This soup was excellent! I had some leftover fresh cabbage and was searching for a soup. I tweaked it a little and used hot 2 links of Italian sausage which I browned first then sliced, as we...