Mom's Ham and Bean Soup
Ingredients10 h 20 m servings 397
- Place Great Northern beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain water and transfer beans to a large stockpot.
- Mix ham hocks, water, celery, onion, carrot, garlic, thyme, black pepper, and bay leaf with beans in the stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until ham is coming off the bones, about 2 hours.
- Remove ham hocks from soup. Cut meat from bones, discarding fat and bones. Return meat to the pot. Continue cooking until beans reach desired softness.
- Cook's Note:
- Navy beans can be substituted for the Great Northern beans, if desired.
- To thicken your broth, if desired, mash beans slightly. If too thick just add a little water.
Per Serving: 397 calories; 21.5 25.3 25.1 68 90 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
I have gone through a lot of ham and bean soup recipes in 40 years and found this one to be my favorite. It's so simple that the only thing needed on my grocery list was ham hocks. Be sure to p...
This soup turned out so delicious, I would rate it as the best soup I've ever made. I did not have dried beans so I used a can of white beans, a can of black beans and a can of red kidney beans....
I was looking for a soup to use up a ham bone left from Easter Sunday, and this was perfect! It's similar to the way I usually make my bean soup, except this one has garlic and thyme. I did cut ...
The basic recipe is good but my soup lacked a smoky ham taste so I added one package of Goya ham flavoring (I know it has a high sodium count) and the soup became flavorful and my family loved i...
I really liked the flavor of this bean soup! I followed it pretty much to the T. I did replace water with chicken stock for more flavor and added a bit more salt and pepper. I would make it aga...
Delicious! ! I used quick soak method with the beans, and substituted a cottage butt for the ham hocks because it's what I had (and it's easier). Served with sweet cornbread and butter...amazin...