Ingredients45 m servings 375 cals
- Put sweet potatoes into a large pot. Pour chicken broth over the sweet potatoes; bring to a boil, stir orange liqueur into the boiling broth, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Puree the sweet potatoes with the broth using an immersion blender until smooth.
- Stir half-and-half, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper into the pureed sweet potatoes; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Toast pecans in the hot skillet until fragrant.
- Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with toasted pecans.
- Cook's Notes:
- To avoid dirtying a blender and a bowl, use an immersion blender right in the pot.
- Optionally, saute onions and garlic in a small amount of oil or butter in the pot before adding sweet potatoes.
- Any ingredient can be substituted: you can use butternut squash instead of the sweet potatoes; 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract instead of the liqueur; vegetable stock or water instead of the chicken stock; different spices, according to your own taste.
- If you like your soup sweeter, add a tablespoon of maple syrup or brown sugar.
Per Serving: 375 calories; 5.7 g fat; 74.4 g carbohydrates; 6.8 g protein; 2 mg cholesterol; 271 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I really like this soup. It's super easy and the cayenne pepper gives a nice little kick.
I'm a novice soup maker and this recipe was easy to follow. I did add some nutmeg and a few drops of habanero hot sauce. I replaced the fat free half and half with half the amount of heavy whip...