Cheese Rosti (Roschti)
Ingredients9 h 10 m servings 560
- Place potatoes in large pot with chicken broth and add enough water to cover potatoes completely; bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes, transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled, 8 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Grate potatoes, discarding any lumps or skin that don't pass through the grater.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion and mushrooms in hot oil mixture until soft but not browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir potatoes into skillet. Season potato mixture with salt and black pepper; stir gently and shape into a large potato cake in the skillet.
- Cook the potato cake in the skillet until base of cake is browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Place a plate on top of the skillet, turn the skillet upside-down to remove the cake from the pan, and slide cake, browned-side up, back into skillet. Cook until the other side of the cake is browned, 5 to 10 minutes more. Sprinkle Swiss cheese over the top of the cake.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese melts and starts to brown, 10 to 20 minutes. Cool in the skillet for 10 minutes before slicing.
Per Serving: 560 calories; 23.7 69.8 18.9 53 743 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I made this tonight and it is absolutely delicious! I love all of Capt. Walker's recipes. He is a talented cook and picks up most of his ideas from foods he has eaten as he has sailed the worl...
Captain Walker has the best recipes! Yum...... So yummy. Yum yum yummy. Just like hash browns on steroids; the good kind.
Absolutely fantastic! I ended up using a huge pan and just lining it then doing a layer of potatoes, then a layer of bacon and sausage, then top with more potatoes. I baked at 350 then placed un...
I modified this. :(. I know!! But it was still SO GOOD. I used a bag of frozen hash browns and I should have only used 1/2. I didn't add the mushrooms (the boys don't like) and I added the che...