Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 32
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar all over the parchment.
- Place watermelon rind in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Drain, rinse, rinse saucepan, and return watermelon to saucepan.
- Stir salt and enough water to cover into watermelon rind in the saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain, rinse, rinse saucepan, and transfer watermelon to a bowl.
- Combine 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup white sugar, and lemongrass in the same saucepan; bring to a boil, add watermelon rind, and stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid evaporates, about 30 minutes. Continue simmering, stirring constantly, until remaining liquid evaporates and watermelon rind has a gumdrop-like consistency, about 30 minutes more.
- Transfer watermelon rind to prepared baking sheet and roll to coat with sugar. Store in an airtight container.
- Cook's Note:
- I cut my watermelon into chunks, but 3x1/2-inch slivers are also nice. Depending on how fast the simmering is, the boiling time until the sugar syrup has just about evaporated could take 2 hours!
Per Serving: 32 calories; 0 8.1 0 0 175 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I was looking for a recipe for watermelon rind pickles when I found this. Never knew you could make candy with it. I tripled the recipe because I had a lot of rind. WOW This is soooo good....
I was very intrigued by this recipe.. never had this before. Wow.. delicious. Make this, but make a double or triple batch because it does go very quickly and it takes quite a bit of time to make
i made this and it is a nice candy . But this candy recipe as with all candy making recipes is missing something. i made correction to. Heat good candy takes time to make. the heat level needs ...