Ingredients3 h 30 m servings 616 cals
- Season duck legs all over with salt and black pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Place duck legs, skin-side down, in hot oil and cook until browned, 2 to 5 minutes; turn and cook until browned on the other side, 2 to 4 minutes more. Transfer legs to a plate; pour rendered duck fat into a bowl.
- Pour water into the skillet and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons duck fat and olive oil in Dutch oven medium heat. Cook and stir onion in hot oil and fat until golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Add turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg; cook and stir until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Pour chicken broth, pomegranate molasses, honey, and reserved water mixture from the skillet into onions; bring to a simmer.
- Grind walnuts to a fine powder in a food processor.
- Cook and stir walnuts in a skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir walnuts into broth mixture; place duck legs in broth to cover in broth. Reduce heat and simmer until duck legs are tender, 3 to 4 hours. Transfer duck to a serving dish.
- Bring broth mixture to a boil; cook until reduced and desired sauce consistency is reached. Season with salt. Ladle sauce over duck legs.
- Serve with Persian Rice.
Per Serving: 616 calories; 48 g fat; 19.7 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 102 mg cholesterol; 837 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I prepped mine on the stove and then transferred to a slow cooker to simmer away while I was at work. So delicious and so easy. Chef John wins again!
I usually cook ground walnuts alone for at least 2 hours to extract all the oil of walnuts so I don't add any extra oil to the stew. Chef john, thanks and here are my suggestions for Persian des...
I had to modify the recipe since only had ground duck and no yellow onion or pomegranate, but it turned out Amazing! I made a berry molasses in place of pomegranate and used red and green onions...