Mom's Basic Vegetable Beef Stew
"This basic recipe uses simple and often used ingredients. It can be spiced up any way, but our spices we have found bring out the best flavor and they are the key to this recipe. Ground pork or ground lamb can be substituted for ground beef. It can also be cooked on the stovetop, which we do, or slow cooker. Eat as a stew or serve over rice, crushed chips or crackers, or cornbread."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 279
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Pour in enough olive oil into a large stockpot to coat the bottom; add 1 onion, carrots, garlic, red pepper flakes, Greek seasoning, rosemary, thyme, basil, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir onion mixture over medium heat until onion is softened and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Pour diced tomatoes over onion mixture; add ground beef, breaking apart with a wooden spoon and stir. Bring liquid to a boil and cook until ground beef is cooked through and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir potatoes, remaining onion, and celery into tomato mixture and cook until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove stockpot from heat and let sit, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute 1/4 head of cabbage, chopped for the celery if desired.
- Two small bottles of vegetable juice (such as V8®) can be substituted for the diced tomatoes if desired.
Per Serving: 279 calories; 10.8 31.3 13.5 35 279 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Too many potatoes for our liking, but otherwise, this was excellent. I will make again!