Mom's Basic Vegetable Beef Stew
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 279
- Pour in enough olive oil into a large stockpot to coat the bottom; add 1 onion, carrots, garlic, red pepper flakes, Greek seasoning, rosemary, thyme, basil, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir onion mixture over medium heat until onion is softened and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Pour diced tomatoes over onion mixture; add ground beef, breaking apart with a wooden spoon and stir. Bring liquid to a boil and cook until ground beef is cooked through and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir potatoes, remaining onion, and celery into tomato mixture and cook until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove stockpot from heat and let sit, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute 1/4 head of cabbage, chopped for the celery if desired.
- Two small bottles of vegetable juice (such as V8®) can be substituted for the diced tomatoes if desired.
Per Serving: 279 calories; 10.8 31.3 13.5 35 279 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Very good, as the summary suggested- we used lamb, however; not ground... chunked... and cooked it in a slow cooker. The smells were amazing! Thank you for a great recipe! We will make again!
This recipe is amazing! I followed the directions with a few modifications suggested by other cooks who made this also.
I tweaked the recipe by adding mixed vegetables, cream of mushroom soup & cream of celery also stewed tomatoes then thickened it & it turned out fabulous & delicious!!