Ingredients45 m servings 231 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bring milk to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir rice and salt into milk, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring frequently, until rice is tender, about 18 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, butter, and vanilla extract together in a bowl until combined. Stir 1 cup of the hot rice mixture into egg mixture until well-mixed.
- Pour egg mixture into rice mixture in the saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Beat egg whites in a glass or metal bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form sharp peaks. Spread egg white mixture over rice mixture, ensuring that egg whites are spread to the edges of the casserole dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden, about 15 minutes.
Per Serving: 231 calories; 7.6 g fat; 32.6 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 120 mg cholesterol; 248 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Liked the idea if the merengue on the top, but I think I'll stick to my usual rice pudding recipe. I found using just the egg yolks to thicken it made it gritty and not creamy
Easy and delicious. a nice dessert that you probably always have the ingredients for.