"Eat Them Right Out of the Pot" Vegetarian Collard Greens
Ingredients3 h 15 m servings 59
- Fill a large stockpot halfway with water; add vinegar, seafood seasoning, and olive oil. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Mix collard greens, jalapeno peppers, and garlic into boiling water; return to a boil. Cover stockpot, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until greens are very tender, 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain water from greens and mash garlic cloves; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook's Note:
- You can easily prepare more collards than this - just make sure there is more water in your pot.
- I also use my Cuisinart® Dutch oven to make these. Put all ingredients in Dutch oven about 1/3 full of water in a 250 degree F (121 degrees C) preheated oven for about 3 hours. Cover Dutch oven completely with lid. Check partway through cooking that more water isn't needed.
- White vinegar or white wine vinegar can be used in place of apple cider vinegar.
- Depending on your tolerance you can remove jalapeno peppers or you can dice them up and add to the collards (my favorite way).
Per Serving: 59 calories; 3.7 5.3 2 0 438 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I have to admit that I just microwaved frozen chopped collards then added the other ingredients. But the combination of ingredients is so tasty and I wouldn't have thought of it without this rec...
I made this today. It was good but not great. I will make again and maybe add some caramelized onions and brown sugar. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
I'm a sucker for collard greens so I was excited to try a vegetarian version. The dish definitely has a kick to it! I cooked this all day in my slow cooker. I thought the amount of vinegar was ...