Maple-Smoked Prime Rib
"This roast recipe is easy to prepare, smoked with the unique taste of maple wood chips. This can be done on any smoker or grill that can maintain the temperature between 200 degrees F and 250 degrees F. I use an electric chest-type smoker with digital controls and a meat temperature probe."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 18 m servings 435
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 three-rib roast)
- Soak wood chips in water until fully moistened, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat smoker to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C). Place a drip pan beneath the rack where you will roast the meat.
- Season roast generously with sea salt and black pepper to coat on all sides; rub seasoning into the meat and fat.
- Put the roast into the preheated smoker above the drip pan with the fat cap facing upwards.
- Add 2/3 cup of the soaked wood chips to your heat source according to your smoker's instruction manual.
- Smoke the roast in the preheated smoker for 30 minutes. Add half the remaining wood chips to the heat source. Smoke another 30 minutes and add remainder of the wood chips. Continue smoking roast until browned on the outside and red in the center, about 2 hours more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 125 degrees F (49 degrees C).
- Remove roast to a cutting board, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and rest beef for 30 minutes. Carve into 1/2- to 1-inch slices.
- Cook's Notes:
- Your butcher will separate and tie the bones for you upon request.
- Insert an oven-proof meat thermometer into the leanest part of the meat near the center and not touching bone or fat.
- If you prefer a medium-rare or medium roast, adjust your meat temperatures and times accordingly.
- I add wood chips only during the first half of the cooking time.
- You'll find that cooking this slow, will result in losing almost no juices.
Per Serving: 435 calories; 29 0.1 40.5 120 150 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
Cooked in a ceramic Primo grill. Temperature of meat came out perfectly all the way through. Smoked the piece the 2.5-3hrs but given the relatively short smoke time the flavor was primarily in t...