Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 392
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute leeks, onion, garlic, bay leaves, and coriander in hot butter and oil until softened and translucent, about 7 minutes. Add potatoes and chicken bouillon to the pot and pour enough chicken stock over the top to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Mash potatoes to desired consistency with a potato masher. Stir Colby-Monterey Jack cheese and cream into potato mixture, return soup to a simmer, and cook until cheese melts and soup is hot, about 15 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with chives.
- Cook's Notes:
- For a smoother soup, blend on low speed with an electric mixer instead of the potato masher. It may be necessary to add more chicken broth because this will make the soup thicker. Add chicken broth so that the soup is the desired consistency.
- There is no salt on the ingredients list because the cheese itself is quite salty.
- You can substitute chicken broth for the chicken stock. You can substitute vegetable bouillon for the chicken bouillon. You can substitute half-and-half for the heavy whipping cream.
Per Serving: 392 calories; 25.4 32.3 11 76 770 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This is a nice tasting soup. The texture was a bit off for me, but that's an issue I always have with potato soups, so I'm not blaming the recipe. I had to make a few tweaks out of necessity (...
All I changed was substituting grated parmesan, romano and asiago instead of shredded cheese. Wonderful recipe!
I can never follow a recipe completely. I reduced the ingredients because I am only one person and this is a large volume recipe. I also added just a bit of bacon for the extra flavoring. If ...
In the end, this was truly a hearty, delicious soup. I had to make some substitutions due to what I had on hand. I used Parmesan/Romano cheese as well as added chopped Canadian bacon. Along w...