Steve's Apple Brine for Turkey
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 1964
Original recipe yields 1 servings (2 gallons brine)
- Place rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaves, and black pepper into a cloth spice bag.
- Combine water and salt in a stock pot; stir until salt dissolves. Bring to a boil, place spice bag into water, and simmer until flavors combine, about 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature, at least 1 hour.
- Pour cold apple juice into cold spice mixture and stir until combined.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use apple cider in place of apple juice, if desired.
- Double-up two kitchen-size plastic bags and pour cold brine into inner plastic bag. Add cold, raw turkey to brine, remove air and tie top of each bag, one at a time. Set brining bag in ice in ice chest for 12-24 hours. Make sure there is enough ice to keep turkey below 40°F until removed for cooking. After brining, remove turkey and discard used brine and spice bag.
- Use chilled brine, cold turkey, and cold apple juice for food safety. Keep cold in ice in an ice chest rather than chance contaminating the refrigerator. Discard brine after use.
Per Serving: 1964 calories; 8.2 484.3 5.3 0 181849 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1