Chef John's Beef on Weck Sandwiches
Ingredients30 m servings 388
- Season beef with salt and black pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef roast in hot oil until browned on all sides on each side, 4 to 5 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 125 degrees F (52 degrees C). Transfer beef to a plate to rest.
- Remove skillet from heat and whisk flour into skillet until flour taste cooks off, about 1 minute. Pour cold beef broth into skillet; place skillet over medium-high heat. Stir balsamic vinegar, black pepper, and any accumulated juices from the roast beef plate into beef broth mixture; cook until jus reduces slightly, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Slice sirloin as thinly as possible against the grain. Pile meat onto the base of each roll. Spread a thick layer of horseradish on the top bun and place top bun over meat. Serve with jus for dipping.
- Cook's Notes:
- There are many cuts of beef used for this, including top round, rump roast, and brisket, but I like to use a nice, thick top-sirloin roast. Instead of cooking it in the oven, I like to pan-roast this on the stove top. Since top sirloin roasts are only a couple inches thick, they cook relatively fast. They're also tender, flavorful, and because of their shape, very easy to slice thinly, which is one of the keys to this amazing sandwich.
- Make your own caraway rolls with Chef John's Kummelweck recipe.
Per Serving: 388 calories; 13.5 17.9 46.1 79 817 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
Very good!! Made this for dinner and followed the recipe exactly. Turned out great and on the rolls (from part 1) it was a great meal. I typically don't like cooking a roast on a stovetop but it...
This was delicious! I made it for a nice Valentine's dinner and my husband loved it. We are from Western New York and I think with a little practice (on my part, I'm no chef!) these sandwiches w...
Oh my gosh! This was amazing! My husband did most of the cooking and it turned out great! We set out to make no changes but we could not find the right cut of meat. We did find a top round r...
These rolls are delicious. We really like caraway so I added a teaspoonful to the dough. Thanks, Chef John