Penne Pasta with Simple Beef Neck Sauce
"This recipe does take a long time, but requires very little effort, and you'll be rewarded with a wonderful, richly-flavored sauce. The hardest thing will be getting some neck bones, but a quick conversation with your friendly neighborhood butcher should be all you need. You can use any prepared tomato-based pasta sauce in place of the tomato sauce, if desired."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients7 h 30 m servings 243
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spread neck bones and onions out in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Roast in the preheated oven until bones are browned and caramelized, 45 minutes.
- Combine beef and onions, tomato sauce, and water in a large pot; bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and simmer, skimming fat and adding water as needed, until meat is falling off the bones, about 6 hours.
- Stir parsley, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and ground black pepper into tomato sauce mixture; simmer until flavors combine, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain.
- Stir penne and 1/2 of the sauce together in a bowl with some of the Parmesan cheese. Spoon into bowls and top with remaining sauce and Parmesan cheese.
You might also like
Per Serving: 243 calories; 2.2 47.8 9.9 2 544 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I am Sicilian and have been making my own 8 hour sauce for many years. I tried this even though it doesn't call for any garlic in the recipe. I used closer to 4 lbs. of beef neck bones, simmered...