Ingredients55 m servings 273 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour chicken broth into a large stockpot over medium-high heat; add squash, celery, apples, leek, garlic, allspice, and thyme. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are completely tender, about 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables simmer, put parsnips into a large bowl. Pour coconut oil over the parsnips and toss to coat. Spread parsnips onto a baking sheet.
- Roast parsnips until tender and browned, about 30 minutes; add to soup.
- Ladle vegetables and liquid into a blender in batches so the blender bowl is no more than half full. Hold lid in place with a towel and pulse blender a few times before leaving on to blend; puree until smooth. Repeat until all soup is pureed.
- Pour pureed soup into the pot, stir half-and-half into the soup, and cook until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- You do not have to use coconut oil for this recipe. You could substitute olive oil and it would still be delicious. I just really like the flavor the coconut oil gives the roasted parsnips.
- I recommend boiling the butternut squash in the chicken stock, as I find it gives the soup a smoother consistency that roasting does.
Per Serving: 273 calories; 8.2 g fat; 49.3 g carbohydrates; 5.4 g protein; 16 mg cholesterol; 1009 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This is a really nice autumn soup. For me it came out a bit thicker than expected and needed salt. The only change I made is that I used whole allspice while cooking and fished them out befor...
This was pretty good but I think the Parsnip was a little strong. Next time I will probably use only 4. Good taste overall.
I had never used a butternut squash before, so this soup was a new adventure for me. I roasted all the parsnips and half the squash (that's how much fit on my pan) and cooked the rest of the squ...
This was great. I made by the receipt. Yes the allspice turned it alittle brownish but it still looked good. I am freezing enough to have with my Christmas dinner. Will be a favorite to make.