Thai Carrot Salad
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 183
- Place grated carrots in a large bowl.
- Combine sugar, water, and vinegar in a saucepan and bring to a boil; cook until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add garlic, fish sauce, and curry paste to sugar mixture and simmer until flavors blend, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and cool dressing completely, about 30 minutes.
- Stir lime juice and red pepper flakes into dressing and pour over carrots. Add peanuts and toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- I usually double this recipe, as a large bag of carrots yields lots of salad.
- Using tamarind is the traditional method; however it is hard to find in regular grocery stores. Any Asian grocery store/market will have it. Lime juice makes a reasonably good substitution.
- The amounts of Thai red curry paste and red pepper flakes can be increased to suit your taste (it is Thai food after all).
- The dressing is very similar to one of the dipping sauces usually served with Thai spring rolls, so the dressing can be made on its own for that purpose. I have also used this as a dressing for a thin sliced cabbage slaw.
Per Serving: 183 calories; 5.4 34.3 3.5 0 332 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
This was great, but there is at least twice as much dressing as needed. I followed the recipe and had carrot soup. Scooped it out with a slotted spoon into a dry bowl and it was delicious. I ...
The recipe author basically says to adjust to your own taste, so I bumped up the red curry paste (it has a kick), cut back on the red pepper flakes, and the spiciness was just about perfect! By...
Surprisingly good. My taster who dislikes vinegar went for seconds. The dressing would work for 1.5 pounds of carrots. I used 1/2 the sugar (plenty sweet) and did not use red pepper. Next time I...
I doubled the carrots like others said and it turned out great!
this was great. The dressing easily covers 2 pounds of carrots and cuts the calories, too. I also used 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 1 cup and it tasted fine. I plan to add a fresh jalapeno pep...
Nice, I find it really sweet though. Double carrots/half dressing, even then the carrots are swimming in it!