Thai Carrot Salad
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 183 cals
- Place grated carrots in a large bowl.
- Combine sugar, water, and vinegar in a saucepan and bring to a boil; cook until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add garlic, fish sauce, and curry paste to sugar mixture and simmer until flavors blend, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and cool dressing completely, about 30 minutes.
- Stir lime juice and red pepper flakes into dressing and pour over carrots. Add peanuts and toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- I usually double this recipe, as a large bag of carrots yields lots of salad.
- Using tamarind is the traditional method; however it is hard to find in regular grocery stores. Any Asian grocery store/market will have it. Lime juice makes a reasonably good substitution.
- The amounts of Thai red curry paste and red pepper flakes can be increased to suit your taste (it is Thai food after all).
- The dressing is very similar to one of the dipping sauces usually served with Thai spring rolls, so the dressing can be made on its own for that purpose. I have also used this as a dressing for a thin sliced cabbage slaw.
Per Serving: 183 calories; 5.4 g fat; 34.3 g carbohydrates; 3.5 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 332 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
This was great, but there is at least twice as much dressing as needed. I followed the recipe and had carrot soup. Scooped it out with a slotted spoon into a dry bowl and it was delicious. I ...
The recipe author basically says to adjust to your own taste, so I bumped up the red curry paste (it has a kick), cut back on the red pepper flakes, and the spiciness was just about perfect! By...
this was great. The dressing easily covers 2 pounds of carrots and cuts the calories, too. I also used 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 1 cup and it tasted fine. I plan to add a fresh jalapeno pep...
Nice, I find it really sweet though. Double carrots/half dressing, even then the carrots are swimming in it!