Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients50 m servings 572 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Grease a 9x12-inch baking dish. Arrange apple slices in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Stir 2 1/2 cups white sugar, water, and food coloring together in a saucepan; bring to a boil and cook until mixture reduces to a thick pink syrup, about 10 minutes. Pour syrup over apples.
- Melt butter in the same saucepan over medium heat; stir 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon into butter until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture using two knives or a pastry cutter until mixture has the consistency of coarse crumbs. Stir milk into shortening mixture until a soft dough comes together.
- Drop dough by the tablespoonful over apples; lightly press the back of a spoon onto each "puff" of dough to form a small dent. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of butter-cinnamon-sugar mixture into each dent.
- Bake in the preheated oven until dough puffs and apples are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Per Serving: 572 calories; 14 g fat; 110.4 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 14 mg cholesterol; 374 mg sodium. Full nutrition