Acorn Squash Ice Cream
"Start enjoying those wonderful fall desserts before Thanksgiving with this ice cream made from a surprisingly sweet squash variety: acorn squash. The flavor combination of brown sugar and just a little butter makes it hard to forget this unique treat is in the freezer. The subdued amounts of spice complement the delicate flavor of acorn squash. I modified this recipe from an existing pumpkin ice cream recipe in one of my cookbooks."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients7 h 50 m servings 367
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place squash, pointed-side up, on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until squash is tender, about 1 hour. Cool squash until easily handled. Cut squash in half, remove seeds and stringy parts of meat, and peel skin from the squash and discard.
- Mash the squash meat in a bowl and measure 1 cup meat.
- Combine 1 cup squash meat and butter in a saucepan; add enough water to make squash stir-able. Cook squash mixture over low heat until squash softens, adding more water if needed to thin the squash, about 15 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and cool squash mixture.
- Beat egg yolks and brown sugar together in a bowl using a whisk until thickened.
- Heat cream and milk together in a saucepan over low heat until mixture begins to simmer. Gradually pour cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture and beat until smooth to temper the eggs. Pour the cream-egg mixture into the saucepan; simmer over low heat until mixture is thickened and easily coats the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes. Strain cream mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Beat squash mixture into cream mixture until smooth; stir in vanilla extract, ginger, salt, and allspice. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 4 hours.
- Stir cream mixture and transfer to an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions for making ice cream.
- Cook's Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the squash. The actual amount of the squash consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 367 calories; 28.4 25 5.1 196 198 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1