Italian-Style Zucchini Lasagna
"When I was a child, my mother made a 'poor man's lasagna' using ground beef, cottage cheese, mozzarella, and pasta. I took her same recipe but made it low-carb, taking out the pasta and adding in lots of fresh veggies. I prefer the texture of the zucchini rather than slices which you see in other recipes."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 386
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray an 8x12-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook ground beef and onion until meat is brown and onions begin to soften, approximately 10 minutes. Drain grease. Add minced garlic, canned tomatoes, Diamond Crystal(R) Fine Sea Salt, and Italian seasoning to the skillet. Simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Drain or blot moisture from the zucchini noodles; place evenly over the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with 1/3 of the sauce, half the cottage cheese, all the baby spinach, and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Make another layer of 1/3 of the sauce, the rest of the cottage cheese, 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Top with the rest of the sauce, the rest of the mozzarella, and the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is slightly browned, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Sometimes the cooked zucchini will release liquid while cooking. If there is watery liquid in the bottom of the casserole dish, cut the first piece, remove it from the pan, and then drain the liquid from the casserole dish.
Per Serving: 386 calories; 21.4 10 36.9 94 861 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
i shredded the zucchini in the morning and let it air dry for a few hours. I still ended up following the footnotes tip of spooning the excess (~1/2 cup) after the first serving was cut and some...