Never-Fail Chicken Noodle Soup
Ingredients1 h 55 m servings 190
- Combine water, chicken, whole onion, and rosemary in a large stockpot; bring to a rolling boil and cook until chicken is no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 1 hour. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove stockpot from heat and allow chicken to cool until easily handled, about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and onion from stockpot. Remove chicken meat from bones and chop or shred meat; discard carcass and skin. Chop onion if desired. Return chicken meat and onion to stockpot with water.
- Mix carrots, celery, garlic, and sea salt with the chicken mixture; bring to a boil and cook until carrots and celery are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; add egg noodles and cook until noodles are cooked through but firm to the bite, about 5 minutes. Add spinach to soup and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can substitute zucchini for spinach or celery. Other vegetables work very well with this soup, but these vegetables are more traditional.
- You can also use potatoes, instead of noodles, and thicken the stock for a hearty chicken stew.
- Additional sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper may be added to taste.
Per Serving: 190 calories; 6.1 19.7 13.8 49 412 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Thank you for this recipe! My children also love canned soup, but the sodium content is horrifying! I bought an organic whole fryer chicken and was unsure what I would do with it. I found your...
It was delicious. Just perfect for soothing a cold. I will make it anytime a friend needs some feel-better food
This was amazing! Best chicken noodle soup ever! I made it as written with the exception of needing to add more water throughout the cooking process. Definitely recommend this soup recipe!