Ingredients2 h 35 m servings 273 cals
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat; sear beef until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer beef and oil to a large pot.
- Mix water, carrots, onion, celery, Worcestershire sauce, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, garlic, bay leaves, and allspice with beef; cover pot and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Add potatoes to stew, cover pot, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes more.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you simmer in a pot that has a cover with one of those little steam escape holes, you may need to add a little bit of water when you add the potatoes and may have no use for thickening the gravy.
- You may also substitute the water for beef broth, but I never do.
- Sirloin can be substituted for the bottom round roast.
- Olive oil can be substituted for the vegetable oil.
- Ground cloves can be substituted for the allspice.
- To thicken gravy, remove 2 cups hot liquid. Using a separate bowl, combine 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons cornstarch until smooth. Mix with a little hot liquid and return mixture to pot. Stir and cook until bubbly.
Per Serving: 273 calories; 10.7 g fat; 19.8 g carbohydrates; 24.3 g protein; 65 mg cholesterol; 875 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 21
Threw all the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it cook on low for 6 hours. It was quite tasty. I used beef broth instead of water and I also left out the allspice. I may reduce the Worcest...
Well done, Big Papa, well done! Followed your recipe and loved it! Thanks!!!
This recipe is Amazing! my only change was to leave out the Allspice!
Excellent! I just found my new beef stew recipe! I made as directed, with the exception of the ground clove - didn't have 'em, don't like 'em. I questioned the lack of water, but this turned out...
No changes, tasty, my stew of choice. The best part is the simplicity of the recipe.
I used Monk Fruit sweetener rather than sugar. I added fresh green beans and I used both red and yellow onion. I used beef stock and water. I also doubled the amount so that we could have so...
I loved this stew! The only complaint I have is that next time I need to double the recipe because it was gone so quickly I had no leftovers for lunch the next day. You also may want to use a l...
I followed the directions to the T and it was excellent. I will definitely make this again.